Saturday, November 22, 2008

remembering Mark Rice

click to view/sign Guest Book

Approximately 8 fire trucks from the Charlotte Fire Dept led the processional to the graveside service.

The funeral service for my cousin Mark Rice was on Friday. It was a celebration of his life and even though we cried a lot, mom and I were honored to be there for this day. The best word to describe the service would be amazing. I have never been to a funeral quite like this one. Mark was a member of the Charlotte Fire Dept and it was truly amazing to see the display of support the firemen gave their "brother" as over 100 firemen walked in to take their seat for the funeral. Then after the family was seated, the Charlotte Fire Dept Pipe Band marched in to begin the service. There were about 10 bagpipers and 8 drummers and they were dressed in Scottish kilts. They played "America the Beautiful" and "God Bless America" and ended with "Amazing Grace" before marching back out. It was like a scene from a movie, only this was real life. A wave of emotion swept over the audience.

As the two Pastors and the Fire Dept Chaplain spoke to the congregation, it was apparent that they too were moved with emotion this day. It was a sad but happy day as we recognize Mark is now home with God, no more suffering and pain. Mark's Pastor mentioned that the last words from Mark were written on a white board because he could not talk during his last three weeks, "I have never turned my back on Jesus Christ." Mark had also told his mother last week to quit worrying about him and "keep her focus on Jesus." Even in his last days, he was trying to encourage others. The music was very appropriate for the service. I do not know if Mark chose the songs or not. The soloist sang "I Bowed on my Knees and Cried Holy." The congregation sang two hymns, "To God Be the Glory" and "It Is Well With My Soul" and the soloist ended with a medley of songs which included "Sweet Hour of Prayer," "I Need Thee Every Hour," and "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." So fitting was this last song.

Mark's testimony was such that he spent his last few months witnessing to everyone he came into contact with. He loved the Lord and he wanted to serve the Lord with all his heart and soul. I am happy to know that Mark is in Heaven now, rejoicing with the Lord and his dad and many others that are already there.
Click to read Obituary


As we approached the entrance to Sharon Memorial Cemetery, a ladder truck was fully extended with a huge American flag.

1 comment:

RogerD said...

Mark was my roommate at LeTourneau college. He was the most easy going, friendly person that I have ever known. I have lots of good memories spending time with Mark. I'm sorry that we did not stay in touch, especially now that I have discovered that he passed 4 years ago. He was a good Christian and I'm sure I will see him again in heaven.
My condolences to his family. If they need anything let me know.

Roger Davis